Topic: Agent no detecting multiple monitor setup

Hello,

I've got a question regarding multiple monitor setup.

It seems that the agent only detects multiple monitors, when these are connected with VGA.

When it's DVI, then it only detects the primary monitor.

Is there a way to fix this ?

Thanks in advanced!

Re: Agent no detecting multiple monitor setup

Hello
we need more informations : which version of the agent ? which os ?

So, i've done some testing with multiple systems.

It seems it's not fusioninventory related, because there is one system giving the right information.

I've used XP 32/64 bit and the same for Windows 7.

The agent used: FusionInventory-Agent_v2.1.6-3

In all cases (except for one), fusioninventory only showed the primary monitor in OCS.

Because most computers here, have different hardware specs. It' not easy to find if it's related to something.

OCS see only one or FusionInventory get only one (in XML)?

Co-leader, official developper
DCS official PARTNER: dcs.glpi@dcsit-group.com

Does Fusioninventory creates a file, where this information is stored in detail ?

Can't really find a file in both Fusioninventory or OCS where the necessary information is stored.

In registry (HKLM/SOFTWARE/FusionINventory-agent/, edit key "local" and put value : c:\tmp and run agent again, you will have a file in c:\tmp

It seems it's Fusioninventory having trouble with this setup.

I've tested it on a videocard with two DVI connector.

In the OCS file created from fusioninventory. i can only see monitor-A.

When i change cables, fusioninventory detects monitor-B.

I've also tested it on a system with a DVI-D Dual Link DVI. It only detects monitor-A

Ok, so i've got some new information.

It seems that older ati cards had two drivers for each port, i've configured 3 system with the same videocard and drivers.

OCS shows the following:

Radeon X1300/X1550 Series     ATI Radeon Graphics Processor (0x7183)         1280x1024
Radeon X1300/X1550 Series Secondary     ATI Radeon Graphics Processor (0x71A3)         1280x1024

OCS shows 2 monitors.

When tested on ATI 2400 Pro

OCS shows the following:

ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro     ATI Radeon Graphics Processor (0x94C1)         1280x1024

OCS shows 1 monitor.

Both tests on XP

I don't understand if you think it's a bug within FusionInventory Agent. If so, may I ask you to create it on our forge?

Best regards

Please contact Fusioninventory Partners companies if you look for a FusionInventory on site expert.
→ http://www.fusioninventory.org/partners/

Resurrecting and old thread here, but I'm actually seeing the same thing.  I have windows7 64 bit on this machine (dell optiplex 780) with a dual link DVI running fusioninventory-agent 2.1.7-2.  The agent is configured to go directly to my GLPI server and I am not running OCS at this time.  When I was running the OCS agent version 2.0rc1,  it did pick up both monitors.  Here is the monitor section of the local file from fusioninventory-agent:

<MONITORS>
      <BASE64>AP///////wAQrBVATFlGMA0QAQOAJh54Ls5Qo1RMmSYPUFSlSwBxT4GAAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBMCoAmFEAKkAwcBMAeC0RAAAeAAAA/wA2NDE4MDY0MTBGWUwKAAAA/ABERUxMIDE5MDdGUAogAAAA/QA4TB9TDgAKICAgICAgADA=</BASE64>
      <CAPTION>DELL 1907FP</CAPTION>
      <DESCRIPTION>13/2006</DESCRIPTION>
      <MANUFACTURER>Dell Computer Corp.</MANUFACTURER>
      <SERIAL>641806410FYL</SERIAL>
    </MONITORS>

And the list from the ocsng agent (the ocs file it is outputing isn't readable, but the "show inventory" works:

Dell Computer Corp. DELL 1907FP DEL.4015.3046594C (13/2006) RGB color 641806410FYL
Dell Computer Corp. DELL 1907FP DEL.4015.3047484C (13/2006) RGB color 641806410GHL

You mean with OCS you detect 2 monitors but not with fusioninventory agent ?

12 (edited by entr04y 2011-02-23 21:26:45)

The OCS inventory agent detects both monitors

The fusioninventory agent detects only one. 

I also just re-installed the ocs inventory agent, and it still is detecting both.

I just spent some time playing with WMI on my windows 7 system, and the WMI key returns only one instance of the monitor, some surfing around seems to point to this being the way it generally behaves.  I then went and looked the OCS source code and found the monitor detection in this file:

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ocsinvento … ysInfo.cpp

It looks like they are using EDID to detect, and if that fails, WMI, then if that fails use the registry.

It also looks like fusioninventory is using WMI to get the initial list of monitors, which fails because of the limitation of that key only returning the first monitor.  I'll look at this some more and see if I can find a way around that... unless you already have an idea wink

Thank you entr04y. Actually, since Vista, the WMI API changed a lot regarding this. I will do some test this week end.

Please contact Fusioninventory Partners companies if you look for a FusionInventory on site expert.

Yes, the wmi changes have been annoying at best... it really threw a wrench into systems monitoring.

I found a post last night that points to a different wmi key:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/For … 106413c36/

He says it doesn't work for him on windows 2008R2, but it works on everything else.  I queried that key and it does have both monitors listed and it looks like just changing the key in Screen.pm might fix the issue.

I'll try it if I get a chance today when I get back to the office.  We only have XP and 7 with monitors attached so I don't have somewhere I can test 2008R2 with dual monitors...

Thanks!

I have test yesterday on win7 and wmi not give monitors connected, must use another method

Hi,

This is fixed with the last 2.1.12 release.

Best regards

we are using FusionInventory Agent (2.3.16) , but still we are not able to get details of multiple monitors.
What could be the reason behind it.

Hi ,

We update the fusion inventory version to 2.3.21 and we are getting information of second monitor as well .