• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cisco CDP Phones
Hi,

I've been testing GLPI 0.72.4 and FusionInventory 2.2.1 on a Ubuntu 10.04. So far, it works like a charm. Great combination.

The only thing that I haven't been able to figure out is if the Cisco IP Phones connected to the network can be inserted with their correct name to the GLPI interface thru FusionInventory.

As far as I understand from my tests, Fusion gets the IPs of the phones (I imagine that through SNMP-ARP) but I'm not able to figure out if there is a way to get the phones name through CDP. When I execute a snmpquery and inventory I just get several hundreds of unknown devices with (abc) where abc is a number. I know that those are the IP Phones because Fusion gives me the IP.

In summary, is there a way for Fusion to get the info from CDP to GLPI so I can the phones into the inventory

Hope I made myself clear
Yes, I think you get informations with CDP on your switches.

The problem is we don't inventory IP phone Cisco because .... we haven't yet have this case.

So how to get informations of your phone ip ? SNMP ? Telnet ? Other ?
Co-leader, official developper
DCS official PARTNER: dcs.glpi@dcsit-group.com
dduriex,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I don't really care about the inventory part of the phones, that I've already done by myself. It's quite simple because Cisco Phones have a http interface where you can download the information in XML format. I can share this script if you like but it's quite simple. http://<PhoneIP>/DeviceInformationX will give the XML of the Phone info you need to inventory.

What I would like is for GLPI/Fusion to show me the unknown device name from the information it can gather from CDP. Right now, it's only getting the IP of phones, but those are on their own VLAN with DHCP so IP it's not a parameter I can thrust to identify the phone.

Basically, what I need is for the Fusion/GLPI to discover in which port in which switch is the phone connected, for that I need the CDP info because the phone can change location.

Thanks
okay, so I want xml file of cisco to create code to do it. After we can get some informations with discovery functions (scan a range ip all days for example)
dduriex,

I wasn't able to figure out if I could upload a file to this forum so I'm putting the info here. This is what you get when you do a http://<PhoneIP>/DeviceInformationX

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<DeviceInformation><MACAddress>00235E17D19E</MACAddress><HostName>SEP00235E17D19E</HostName><phoneDN>7495</phoneDN><appLoadID>jar42sccp.8-3-3-17.sbn</appLoadID><bootLoadID>tnp42.8-3-1-21a.bin</bootLoadID><versionID>SCCP42.8-3-4SR1S</versionID><hardwareRevision>1.0</hardwareRevision><serialNumber>FCH1240A1UD</serialNumber><modelNumber>CP-7942G</modelNumber><MessageWaiting>No</MessageWaiting><udi>phone
Cisco Unified IP Phone 7942G, Global
CP-7942G
V04
FCH1240A1UD
</udi><time>7:38:16a</time><timezone>Central America Standard Time</timezone><date>12/08/10</date></DeviceInformation>

MACAddress or HostName are the primary keys for the phones. That's the easy part. Hard part is to link that to a switch on the Inventory thru CDP and HostName, because the HostName of the phone is that CDP should show.

Thanks,
I have created a ticket, but I don't known when I will have time to code it : http://forge.fusioninventory.org/issues/281
I might be able to do some coding if you like.

Shoot me an email if you want some help.

The XML info part is quite easy. I already do that and get the info into my own DB. The key thing here is to actually get the hostname of the phone thru CDP and update the connections.

Let me know if I can help you.
If you have code in perl to get this informations, it coul be nice Smile